NAMI’s Education programs for families begin in March. Classes fill quickly and registration is required. Courses and materials are provided at no cost to participants. Contact the NAMI Southwestern Pennsylvania office (412-366-3788) now for information and to register for the following courses:
NAMI FAMILY-TO-FAMILY: 12-session course for families, partners and friends of individuals (18+) living with a mental health diagnosis. The course is designed to facilitate a better understanding of mental illness, increase communication and coping skills and to empower participants to become informed advocates for their loved ones. Classes begin in the following locations:
- Tuesday, March 1, 6:30 – 9 p.m. at the Mt Lebanon Library, 16 Castle Shannon Blvd.
- Tuesday, March 1, 6:30 – 9 p.m. at the Children’s Institute, 1405 Shady Ave., Pittsburgh.
- Tuesday, March 8, 6:30 – 9 p.m. at the NAMI Southwestern PA office, 105 Braunlich Dr., Ross Twp.
- Wednesday, March 16, 6:30 – 9 p.m. at the Farmers Insurance Office, 1164 Broadway Ave., East McKeesport.
NAMI Basics: 6-week program for parents and other caregivers of children and adolescents living with behavioral and mental health challenges. The course is taught by trained teachers who are also the parent of individuals who developed the symptoms of mental illness prior to age 13. The course helps participants to better understand the illnesses that are causing the behavioral difficulties and the critical role that families play in treatment. Classes begin:
- Thursday, March 17, 6:30 – 9 p.m. at the NAMI Southwestern PA office, 105 Braunlich Dr., Ross Twp.